Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"The Search" Part 5 by Sage Lock

“The Search” Part 5 by Sage Lock




My eyes opened to a dimly lit wood hut, the only source of light coming from a solitary candle sitting on the oak, wood table. The flames danced in the air, only to end when a breath of wind came from the doorway, which was guarded by two wolfbird guards. They wielded mighty war spears, and also, they each wore a medallion and armor. The medallion I noticed each had a sword carved into the wood. I then realized a similar one hung around my families, and my own neck. However, we had been drugged, unable to see clearly, everything surrounded by a hazy fog. Without sensing any reason to stay awake, I drifted into a sleep, wishing that this time, it would be dreamless.

Instinct told me someone was staring at me, so I cautiously opened my gray eyes and lifted my head to see who it was. It was another wolf bird mutation, and I saw another medallion hanging around its neck. This one had a crown and scepter carved into it, and then I realized who he was after glancing at his clothing and his crown.

“You must be the king of this God forsaken land then!”I yelled at him. “What do you want with us!?” But I knew it was useless, because only humans had the gift of understanding its own kind’s speech.

I was surprised when he replied in a heavy grunting type of accent, “No, you came here without permission, my people have beheld this place as a sacred type of land of prayer for centuries.”

“Y-y-you can understand me?” I questioned, unable to understand how.

He nodded, “Yes, my people can understand any foreign language.”

“Oh…” was at first the only sound I could muster, then “What land is this? There is no island this large on any map we had on board our ship?” “There is no island of this size on any map anywhere on Earth!”

He only laughed at my statement, “Foolish human! You ‘re mind is unable to comprehend that you aren’t even on an island!”

“Well then, what mainland are we on?”

“You are on the mainland known as Novinion.” He replied.

“You’re just kidding around! There is no such thing as Novinion!”

“Maybe not on Earth, but what if I told you…you weren’t on Earth anymore?”

4 comments:

  1. My favorite part so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very surprising, still wondering where have they come to reside....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done an excellent job of grabbing my interest from the first post. Very interesting, exciting, and full of suspense. You are a very talented author-Keep it up!! -TC

    ReplyDelete